What commonly accepted truth do you think is wrong, or at least seriously doubt? Why?
I guess not only in this part of the world but around the globe we have many proven superstitions and blindly followed from small ones to those having huge impact on society. Then there are some just like doctrines which a particular cast or sect must obey otherwise they should be ready to face the ire of the so called moral social police leading to harsh results (death at times).
On a lighter side there are many of them followed by people as part of the practise they see in the environment around them, to share a few:
- Stop your journey when a cat crosses the road. When other vehicles pass then you can go ahead, it is an omen and believed that if you don’t follow this an accident might occur. This is very strongly followed by Indian Drivers.
- When moving out of the house if someone sneezes, then take a pause and sit for a while otherwise you might not succeed for which you were about to leave.
- Snakes can drink milk and are offered milk nationwide during Nag Panchami.
- Masturbation leads to health problem including impotence.
- People having Mangal Dosha are married to trees first before their actual marriage, this is still strongly followed. It is believed that his partner will get harm and marriage will be at disharmony if someone with Mangal Dosha gets married. So when he marries a tree it is believed that all evils are transformed to the tree then he can safely move over his marriage with the partner.
As long as any rituals wont harm the society and is up to you to be followed or not there are no harm in it.
In my belief there are ritual all over the world, it depends upon individuals, if you believe in them and are superstitious you might follow them and at times you are forced by your family to follow it.